Radio frequency identification (RFID) technology is a radio wave based communication between an RFID reader and an electronic tag attached to an object or person for the purpose of identification and tracking.
RFID technology is used more and more in our daily lives the way that barcode technology did over the last decades. RFID technology has outstanding performance features and leads up to remarkable changes and improvements in our future.
Applications using RFID technology benefit from:
- No line of sight necessary for reading
- No particular orientation of the RFID tag needed
- No need of manual scanning
- Convenient reading distances
- RFID tag IC memory in different sizes available
- Possibility of multiple writing on the RFID tag
- RFID tag information can be edited and locked
- Possibility of reading many tags in one step (Bulk reading)
- RFID tags can be used as a portable database
- Tags for difficult environment available (e.g. Metal Tags, High Temp Tags)